THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Flip Flop Weekend

I love flip flops! Maybe its in my born in So Cal genes. Flip Flops symbolize the casual, carefree atmosphere we are known for here in L.A. To me, they also symbolize the more restrictive part of my life: the workplace. I think this is because I can't wear flips at work, no matter who designed them or how much they cost. $65 rhinestone adorned Havaiana's? Nope! Definately not the $5 Old Navy ones. So much in life is buttoned up, why shouldn't we let our feet hang loose?


I thought about this as stood looking at the schedule of my part-time job. There it was: Sunday 7 AM-Noon. Damn! Not happy! A weekend with a commitment...again! Not a flip-flop weekend! The devil on one shoulder says I can call in, the angel on the other reminds me of those human and animal beings depending on me to be there!


It was with all this in mind that I welcomed an unexpected turn of events. As I stood there wondering which shoulder would win the war of my conscience, my co-worker walks in. She asks if want to give up my shift this weekend so she would be able to make he car payment. I didn't hesitate before I said "absolutely"!Break out those Havaianas and lets go...anywhere but work!


Let me take a moment to clarify that I am grateful to have not only a full-time job but also a part time one. Very grateful, in fact, to have more than one job when so many are struggling to find work in this economic downturn. This blessing isn't lost on me! But I welcome a weekend with no commitments of any kind, be it friends, volunteering or work. I am craving a fly by the seat of your pants weekend where anything goes and my feet are free in flips.


This is a switch from how I used to view weekends. I would panic when faced with a weekend with nothing on the schedule. Boredom is second on my list of worst enemies, second only to loneliness. To avoid both of them I would pack my weekends with all kinds of stuff. Anything to keep me away from myself and those voices that say that only losers are alone. Anything to keep me from stuffing those feelings down with food.


How did I get from viewing alone time as something worse than the plague to viewing it as bliss? Well, somewhere along this journey we call life, I discovered that I enjoy spending time with someone who is funny, smart and in touch with the world they are living in. Much to my surprize, that person is me! Alone time lets me take a step out of the world and take stock of what is going on, what needs revision and what needs to be worked on! It is a necessary respite from life in the crazy big city!


As I awoke this morning the sun was shining, the birds singing, the smell of spring flowers in the air! I got dressed and slipped into my flip-flops, eager to get the day started, a day where the only commitment I have is to myself. A great day indeed!


Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

0 comments: