THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The World Isn't Perfect

The phone call comes in like many others before it. Its my job to answer that phone and help people with their questions about their medical plans. The display on my phone says "Ticketmaster", which is the entity that pays for the plan, the members employer. In a perfect world, the call would have gone like this:

Me: May I help you?
Him: Yes, I need a list of doctors that are on the plan
Me: Ok, will that be on a major credit card....or on a major credit card?
Him: What?
Me: We only take credit cards so what will it be?
Him: Credit cards for what?
Me: The ridiculous fees it cost to get your information
Him: Are you kidding, I have nowhere else to get this information?
Me: Exactly! That's why we screw you with fees! Now about that info? It will be $25
Him: That's a third of what I pay for the insurance itself
Me: Do you want the information or not? It's $10 for me to look it up,
$10 for me to send it to you and $5 for the pleasure of doing business with us
Him: I have no choice
Me: Have a nice day

In a perfect world where turnabout is fair play, I could have taken that guy to the cleaners just as Ticketmaster does to every event going person in America. They are essentially the only ticket selling entity that exists and they charge whatever they want, sometimes close to doubling the price of a ticket! Wouldn't it be great if we all could be opportunistic bastards? No....not really!

In a perfect world businesses would not only exist to make money but to help others as well. Money would be a by product of doing the right thing.

In a perfect world this would happen. But this world isn't perfect. Hope is the new black these days so maybe in the future prices to see those old geezers U2 won't be priced in the stratosphere.

One can hope!

0 comments: